Monday 18 February 2013

Sprint Tri Training... a starting point...

Sometimes we need a bit of a shake-up in life... sometimes it is a way of regrouping and taking a different perspective on things but more often than not it is a form of escapism… I have decided to put personal climbing on a bit of a back burner for a few months and I needed a new focus…

So ... let’s do this properly now...

I am pretty rubbish at writing so I will keep this simple, last year I planned to do a triathlon but got a chest infection which put it on the sidelines, a few months ago Lisa Potter sent me a message on Facebook saying… "here is something you might be interested in…” with a link to the Leicestershire Sprint Triathlon.. I hit sign up and here I am writing about it!!

Why a triathlon? … not sure…

I suppose it is because I get bored running any major distance and I can’t be bothered putting the time in to do long distance for a marathon… perhaps can’t be bothered is the wrong definition, I simply don’t have the time and I don't like to do things I am not going to do well in... 

I can easily run between 3 miles and 7 miles every day depending how much time I have and what route I am cycling into work via and on that note, I cycle to work pretty much every day via 3 routes, either a 8.5 miler on road, 11.5 miler cross country or 19.2 miles on the road….

So why not train for a triathlon, I am doing 2/3rds of the disciplines anyway and it will give me focus… but… there is a big but… I am rubbish at swimming…

Since signing up for the Triathlon I actively set myself the goals of learning to swim and having access to a pool has made it very easy for my do be able to go the distance (400m) which to start with was a joke, I was struggling at 12 meters!!

So this will be a new slant to the blog...  I believe anyone can do well in any sport if they a few key components…

So for me the key components are;

1)      A goal that’s achievable, I won’t be able to do a full tri so the Leicester Sprint Tri is the best option.
2)      A good base layer of fitness, which, by putting the pool sessions in  I hope I have!
3)      Desire - training is mentally hard… I want to get better, getting tired is not a bad thing and I know I am going to have to push myself…
4)      Access to facilities, luckily I have easy access to a pool, I can run anywhere, I cycle to work pretty much every day and I have a gym at home.
5)      And finally … 12 weeks of good consistent training.

My Goal is to finish well, I’d like to finish as close to 1 hour as possible, I think this is easily achievable and I am looking forward to kicking of my training come the 1st March.

The Triathlon is the Leicester Shire Sprint Tri on the 27th May 2013 and it consists of a 400 meter swim, 20k on the bike and a 5 k run… Leicester Sprint Tri; http://www.racetime-events.co.uk/?page_id=335

I will set up a new section on the Blog about my training and try to do one post a week so hopefully we’ll see a big of progression…

No comments: